Sunday, June 25, 2023

Tip The Scale




Mr. Moline in 1983


In 8th grade I was first introduced to Algebra.  Mr. Moline would stand in front of the class using his marker on the overhead projector to show us how to solve algebraic equations.



Here is Mr. Moline at the overhead projector.  He was famous at McKinley Junior High for forgetting to cap his marker before he put it back in his shirt pocket and it always left a large ink spot. 


Whoa – hold up a second!  In Algebra, math suddenly went from numbers to letters.  Mr. Moline explained that the letters were unknown quantities.  He sure got that right – it was certainly unknown and confusing to me!

Always questioning the rules, I wondered what was the mathematical rationale to add or subtract from both sides?  Doesn't that change the entire meaning of the equation? How can you just start tinkering with it?  

Rather than explaining the mystery of algebraic equilibrium, Mr. Moline just performed more and more equations.  He would explain it slower and louder, sort of like how I talk to someone who does not speak English.  Trust me, it doesn’t work.  

It wasn’t any better in high school.  Again, it was more and more examples of X and Y when I needed examples of X and WHY!  

Here is the proof.  We have not pulled this out in quite some time.  You can see for yourself.  



Yep, 1.949 GPA.  My parents and teachers wanted to know WHY too! 

Freshman year Algebra was filled with negative letters as I earned a D and an F in each semester.

It was in summer school that I finally “succeeded” with a D.  I figured out how to solve the easy equations; however, I never learned the reasoning behind the solutions.  

Later in high school, my skills in math class improved.  Sure, the transcript shows a failing F for first semester of junior year Algebra II, but I was successful at passing in that class.  Passing notes to Julie every day in class, that is.  Mark my efforts as an A+ in that class!  

About a decade ago, I wanted to learn the why behind Algebra.   So I went to my new teacher, Sal Kahn of Kahn Academy.  Like Mr. Moline, Sal used the overhead projector of the current era to teach Algebra. 




Using a crucial visual example, Sal compared the equation to a scale and said that both sides needed to maintain an equal weight. Adding or subtracting the same value from each side kept the scale perfectly balanced, ensuring that the equation remained true. 

The idea of maintaining balance resonated, as I envisioned the equations as scales, constantly seeking desired equilibrium, an important mathematical foundation.  My confusion transformed into understanding and the bright lights of success shined in my head.  

On Tuesday night under the bright lights of defeat, our record found equilibrium at 3 wins and 3 losses.    

On the field and in the class, you have to show your work.  There are two sides of the equation and we tried to cancel the Tappers out. 

 



 

It was a tough defensive battle with stellar pitching on both sides of the equation.  A huge highlight of the night was that Jason Bobis came from Down Under to help us get over the top.   He was playing with us for the first time in five years and was quite the addition to our side.  Jason bashed a 2-2 performance at the plate and was the key pivot man with a stellar catch and throw on a timely double play. 



Jason was perfect at the plate!

Here are all the Cougar highlights.  

 





By the end of the season, our record will not be in equilibrium. The Cougars are seeking an imbalanced record on the winning side of the scale.  

Just like I solved my problems in summer school, the Cougars are going to use the rest of the summer to school the league.  

Our formula for success will tip the scale in our favor.    

Go Cougars!


___________

Game Video

___________



_________

Standings

_________


__________

Schedule

__________




No comments:

Post a Comment