Friday, June 2, 2023

The Key To Success

 

Fall @ Field 2

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns, and sometimes, we find ourselves caught up in misadventures that leave us scratching our heads in disbelief.

Today, I have a diversionary tale, or better yet, a cautionary tale to share about the keys to success.

It was a warm Thursday evening during spring of 1986.  I was a high school junior full of youthful mischief. Already grounded by my parents for a prior transgression, I was itching to get out.  Enter my buddy, who had managed to acquire a stolen hotel key, a relic from an era when keys, not keycards, guarded hotel doors.  

We concocted a plan to throw a little party in an upscale Sheraton hotel in Homewood, a nearby town, which happened to be located just a stone's throw from one of my parents' gas stations.

Now, I may have been grounded, but I wasn't about to let that stop me. So, after dinner, I told my parents that I was going to take out the garbage and then be in my room.  My parents were happy with that because after a long day of work, they just wanted peace and quiet.  In fact, they would take the phone off the hook in the evenings so that they would not be bothered by any phone calls.

Under the guise of taking out the trash, I was picked up by my buddy, who cruised up with a case of beer in his sleek black Chrysler LeBaron convertible, blasting The Outfield's "Play Deep" cassette tape – the soundtrack of our teenage rebellion.

As we ventured to the hotel we decided to leave the beer in the car and check the room first.  We took the elevator to the room and the pilfered key opened the door without a hitch.   Filled with enthusiasm, we closed the door and hustled back downstairs to grab the beer. 

But here's where things took an unexpected turn. As we returned to our room, we found the door wide open, as if someone had been playing games with us. Suddenly, a security guard burst out of the room, hollering like a madman, and our only option was to sprint down the emergency exit stairs, leaving our beloved beers behind.

Finding ourselves in a nearby field, we strategized our escape route back to the car.  Our rustling around in the field brush caught the attention of the shotgun-wielding property owner.  He certainly caught our attention, too!  Luckily, the owner knew me from my parents' gas station and decided not to take matters into his own hands.   As we walked out of the field and onto the street, I explained our predicament, assuring him that we only wanted to retrieve our nearby car.   

Just as we thought things couldn't get any crazier, a police car arrived on the scene.  Definitely not the getaway vehicle we wanted.  Instead, it brought our demise as we were unceremoniously hauled off and put behind bars.

When the Homewood police called my parents all they heard was a constant busy signal because, remember, it was off the hook. 

The Homewood police enlisted the aid of the South Holland police, who drove to our house and rang our doorbell interrupting my parents’ peaceful evening.  Imagine their surprise when the police officer arrived at our doorstep, delivering the news that their darling deviant son was arrested and in the slammer!

My mom and dad told the police that couldn’t be true because I was under house arrest in my bedroom.  The police agreed that I was under lock and key … but in a different type of cell.

Imagine my parents’ mixture of disbelief and fury that their son took out the trash and somehow ended up in jail. Their night did not go as planned! 

Now imagine the Cougars’ mixture of disbelief and fury on Tuesday as we went from the top of the standings to suffering our first taste of defeat at the hands of The UBAA.  Our night did not go as planned!

In a one-sided clash, The UBAA emerged triumphant, dealing the Cougars a decisive 9-3 loss.

The UBAA's defense was flawless with no errors in sight! They turned double plays, caught lightning-fast liners, and even the misdirected balls somehow ended up as outs. And on offense? Well, they sprayed hits all over the field and ran the bases with finesse.  

Meanwhile, the Cougars stumbled by issuing walks, making errors, and desperately needing more hits and runs to match our opponent's skills.

While the loss was a disappointment, a silver lining emerged as the Cougars were lifted by a loyal and enthusiastic crowd of fans.

After the game, Diamond Dave and Barb bailed us out by hosting a memorable postgame party, filled with Diamond's homemade wine, delectable dishes, a crackling firepit, and competitive cornhole contests. The lively celebration softened the blow of defeat.  The postgame party served as a reminder that the key to bouncing back from setbacks is embracing the support of friends and finding joy in the moments that truly matter.

Even when plans are foiled, the Cougars always find the key to success! 

_____________

GAME VIDEO

_____________

Coming soon - in the meantime here are a few pics from game and postgame.





No comments:

Post a Comment