Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Officially a Cougar

Although last night's scheduled opponent has won three straight championships, surprisingly it wasn't their reign that did us in last night. The fields were drenched and the downpour canceled our affair at Howard Park.

I thought the rainout would give me a breather from writing the blog. But the publisher called and said "Even though there isn't a game, you have to write about Cougars. People need their weekly Cougar." Thankfully, he never specified which type of Cougar.

You see, the blog's title refers to a special 40th birthday we are celebrating on Thursday. That is the day my lovely bride is served her official Cougar papers.

Her loving, caring and thoughtful family has had a month-long countdown on the kitchen chalkboard.


We had an early celebration with family on Mother's Day. Her favorite gift was Def Leppard cd's. As we will soon see, a true product of the 80's. Unta Gleeben Glouten Globen.



I thought it would be fun to share some of the favorite pics from the last 40 years. I mean, what woman doesn't want to be surprised by seeing her teenage pictures posted on the world wide web. So in honor of her four decades, here is a quick pictorial spin.

Here is baby Julie at 6 months old. Was color photography available 40 years ago?


Adorable at age 2.


Julie flashing her mom's smile.


Here is Julie and her brother, Greg. He had not reached Diddy status just yet.

Conversation heard in the Otsuka household before the picture was taken. "Honey, will you get your level and make sure their bangs are straight." The 70's - good times.



This is proof that Julie did play at least one year of soccer in 1980. After a 30 year layoff, she will be strutting her skills on May 23rd. Go McKenzie!



Roller skating was the thing to do!



Julie: "Dad, get that level away from me!"
Greg: "Bring it on! The straighter the better."




Not sure, but this may be a head shot she submitted for a John Hughes movie.



High school senior year portrait.



Ok, if we are sharing senior pictures, it is only fair that your Andrew McCarthy wannabe shares his as well. This could be a nominee for the senior year picture unintentional comedy award. Two shots in one. Check. Middle part. Check. Feathered hair. Check. A bit of a mullet. Check. White suit. Check. Matching tie. Check. Feeling like an idiot over 20 years later. Check.



Here is Julie just hours before being crowned Thornwood High School's 1988 Prom Queen.



Here is Julie gracing the campus at the University of Illinois.



Although this picture was taken in the 90's and our style moved out of the 80's, the orange carpet makes it look like the 70's.


Here is a recent family picture. Is it possible that we will we look back in 20 years and think, "What the heck were we thinking with those hairdos and clothes?!?"


Julie is very comfortable with turning 40. In fact, I think it helped when I told her, "You may be 40, but in Cougar years you are only one."

1 comment:

  1. Oh my GOSH! I love those photos! I didn't know Julie was Prom Queen! I wish I was that cute throughout my life. Julie, you and I could have shared hairspray techniques. Great work Scott. The shot that almost made me spit out my coffee was the ominous pensive stare of alter ego Scott. You look like you are about ready to kick some ass, John Hughes style. P.S. I'll bring over my Def Leppard and GNR CDs and maybe we can make a mix tape. Happy Birthday Julie!

    - Kathy

    ReplyDelete