Friday, February 26, 2010

40, Unemployed and Sterile


Yes, that was me just a few short weeks ago. When I turned 40 last summer, I remained vibrant, enthusiastic and cheerful. In fact, I welcomed 40.

No worries here. Life was grand.

I rolled with 40 for a while, you know, kept the line moving. Then, after a few months, I was thrown a couple of high arcs that Joe D. did not teach me how to crush.

Two management team meetings changed my lineup.

First, the management team of our startup company decided to maximize value by consummating a merger. Second, the management team of our household decided to minimize value by preventing any merger consummation.

Both had bankruptcy implications.

In the first instance, we were attempting to grow business operations and avoid a Chapter 11 reorganization. In the second, we were ceasing reproductive operations and headed straight for a Chapter 7 liquidation.

Sacked. Twice. Laid-off. Twice. Early retirement. Twice.

At work, I had a generous severance package. At home, my generous package was severed.

Unemployment leads to voluntary self-discovery and you can keep the results to yourself. Sterilization leads to mandatory self-discovery, and the results must be shared in a cup with the doctor every four weeks.

So in the middle innings of life I was getting slaughtered. One of the things that brought my spirits up during this difficult time was the thought of Cougar softball (and the fact that I was re-employed a few weeks later).

And now, opening night, April 27th, is only two months away. Who will be in camp this year?

Let me know. Are you in or out?

No comments:

Post a Comment